Welcome to iPhone Discussion

To unlock the full potential of our services and participate in our forum discussions, all you need to do is register or log in. Remember, membership is free and open to all.

iPhone 3GS launched in Qatar

super_henry

Valued Member
Registered
Reaction score
IPD Cash
Starlink, a communications and media retail business, has launched the latest iPhone – the iPhone 3GS 32GB in Qatar.

Starlink shops will offer the 3GS 32GB at QR3,800 ($1,043) starting today (September 8), said a statement.

The iPhone offers video recording, voice control, 32GB, a built-in digital compass and a huge range of features and applications. It also has updated 3D graphics, which allows users to play games, watch movies, and launch applications more quickly and more smoothly than ever before.

The phone comes with a one-year warranty and support promise, provided by Starlink.

“Our customers have been queuing up to get their hands on the new iPhone models, and we’re delighted to be among the first in Qatar to provide them,” said Alan Sinfeld, CEO, Starlink.

“The iPhone 3GS is truly exciting, and provides an enormous range of features, so we think it will surprise a lot of people.”

Starlink is also offering the 3Gs 16GB for QR3,500, providing the same range of features.

Both new iPhones work best with Qtel’s Shahry and the new range of Qtel mobile Internet packs, the first dedicated data packs ever made available in Qatar, according to a statement.

In my opinion, they should get the iPhone in a good time and should be at a reasonable price, so many people would actually consider buying it. The prices 3,500 QR and 3,800 QR are quite expensive. If I were in Quatar I would prefer buying it online from another source. This is one of the reasons I don't like being in a country which brings new products late into their local markets.

it's the case in alot of countries outside the US or UK, the prices of the handsets are not subsidized, so if you want a top of the line phone be prepared to pay the full cost.

What I would like to see is that when a new product comes out into the market, that it gets out in the main countries in each area. Not to be only distributed mainly to US & Canada first and then wait 3-6 months for it to come out in different countries. In my opinion it would get a good profit for the company aswell because for example in the country that I'm in at the moment they are selling the iPhone 3G S for 650$-1,300$, but its unocked because its not AT&T

But that is just overpriced!!!! So I prefer buying online even if the 650-1.300 U.S.$ includes the full package and 32GB.

if you look on ebay $650 is the going rate for an unlocked 3gs, you're still failing to take into consideration that when it's carried by carriers in alot of these big countries, the price of the device is subsidized.

I honestly think though that the reason why it's not released everywhere at once, is to drum up demand.

People always want what they can't have, and are then prepared to pay a premium for it.

True indeed demand would definetly rise up after a few months because more people will become aware of the new product and will be more than happy to pay for it(whatever the price). I think I should just visit the US once in a while to get the latest iPhone for a cheap price and get it unlocked there.

I don't know how much cheaper you're going to get it, everyone is trying to make a buck. Plus people that buy it @ say $199 and then decide to sell it, have to either pay a termination fee or downgrade their plan and they're still locked to a contract.

Early termination fees for AT&T are like $175. but to set up the plan you also had to pay activation and the first months rent & data, and possibly a deposit depending on your credit rating. Plus given the going rate of the devices on ebay only an ingenue would sell below $650. Unless the phone has some serious damage.

buying it unlocked from Apple is in the realm of $800-900....buying it w/o contract from AT&T is $599
(and they only let AT&T customers buy that a non customer can't walk in off the street and buy one), doubt that would be worth the price of a plane trip.

All of these prices are taking into consideration a 16gb 3gs model.

Last edited:
After all what you have said I think I'll just stick with freebies hehe. Also about the fees for AT&T I never knew that they were that high since I never lived in the States.

Thanks for the info. Cheers.

Subsidized in the US or not I think that buying a phone with contract and then canceling service would be the better route..$199 for the 3gs + $175 cancel fee $36 one time activation and lets say $80 for the lowest plan (includes $30 iphone data plus $50 for minutes..thats $490 if my math is correct..you can sell iphones on ebay for alot more if they are unlocked (something you can do yourself) and probably double your money..this is not for ppl living in other countries to try and make money but if phones are going for that much in other countries you might try to sell it to them for say $50 less then they would pay there?This of course is a lengthy way to try and "stick it to ATT" but I have read that with the subsidized cost of the phone they (ATT) pays the difference on the phone..and they dont even break even until you reach your 18th month in the contract...thats also the magic number month that you can upgrade your phone

$490 if you're not taking into account taxes i guess...and phone taxes in Florida are pretty on the ridiculous side approaching 20%

Last edited:
I guess not...sorry for those in FL...In Tx its just sales tax @ 8.25%..Even still I dont think that its that great a cost...the previous was only a hypothetical...it would be way too much hassle to go thru just to make a buck

Join our community of forum users today and unlock a range of exclusive features! Don't miss out on all the benefits waiting for you. Log in or sign up now!

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds